Sunday, February 14, 2016

Coaches & Athletes: The leading edge in Sport Science

Since I first began riding back in 2005, I've been told that Strength Training and Cycling don't go together.

"No good will come of it, you'll just put on unnecessary weight, and get slower" (not like I was fast to begin with, riding my Mongoose Hardtail MTB with slick tires to Group Road Rides).

I never liked that answer, and have been spending the better part of the last 10 years gathering information, trying new approaches on my athletes, and working to figure it all out. While I tell others that this is all done for the sake of giving my athletes the biggest competitive edge possible, that is only half true.




Innovators don't wait for the WHY to be proven. They are the ones ASKING WHY, and seeking the answer.
They don't look to the area that is illuminated, they look to where it is not. Where none have searched, or looked thoroughly enough.


From the age of 11, I've been in pursuit of trying to figure out how to "Train smarter, Not Harder" (thus my vision). And while there are a great number of athletes whom afford me the opportunity to help them, and apply my theories and knowledge to help them succeed, my true desire is to "figure it out". To appease my curiosity. To find the overall answer.

Just call me Curious George.

In the last 5 years, the pieces have been coming together exquisitely, and the current working theory has been helping the athletes I coach to a very significant degree.

The market has a smattering of books telling you "How to strength train for cycling", but really all they are doing is recycling old, behind-the-times information. These books tell you squats and lunges- movements that copy the patterns we have on the bike- will make you a better, stronger cyclist.

Unfortunately, they are selling you an outdated "top of the line car" (this car dates back to the 1970's...). While it WAS top of the line, and cutting edge way back when, it's severely outdated, and missing a lot of what we now consider to be standard...like say, air conditioning.

 1965 Mustang Fastback- a dream of mine to own some day.
Even if it is missing Airbags, AC, Automatic windows, power steering.....


Any and every Strength Coach knows that what we REALLY need, is to balance the joints of the body. Using Strength Training to regain a balance at the joints, and allow the athlete to have as few "energy leaks" as possible. AKA Helping the athlete move better, and with less risk of injury. Especially for those who are not professional racers- most of you our there reading this- who have full time jobs, a family, and other parts of their life they would like to enjoy.

However, in no small part due to the lack of updated information out there, many cyclists still cling to their guns stating that "strength training for cycling is a waste of time and energy".

The most common objection that I hear is "Show me the research/ evidence that what you're doing works." To which I point to the athletes whom I've coached...only to be met with "That's not proof enough for me. That is not scientific research!"

In years past I've argued with the individual, only to come away more frustrated, and with fewer words to share with the rest of the world.

What so many people miss, is that scientific research does not lead sports performance. Coaches and athletes in the field do.

To quote Joe Friel (www.JoeFrielsBlog.com) from his book "Faster after 50" (strongly recommend you read it!):

"Sports science has an especially poor record when it comes to paving new pathways in sport. It has nearly always lagged behind most of the important changes that happen."

True. So very true. Yet it seems, especially now days, that EVERYONE wants to see scientific proof FIRST.

I should know- I was one of those people.


Menachem Brodie with Dr. Stuart McGill
Dr. Stuart McGill, Whom I had the pleasure of learning from in person, is one of the great
Sports Performance Innovators and Researchers of our generation.
He seeks out the WHY'S, and challenges what we think we know.


That was why I earned my degree in Exercise Physiology with a Specialization in Coaching: I wanted to know HOW to test what we did, so I could understand WHY we did what we did.

But in my 16 years of coaching, I've wised up to the Diamond that my coach gave me back when I was 16:

"Coaches and athletes will innovate, and do things they find help performance, and only after it's taken off, will someone at a university allow for the research to be done to see WHY it works. Coaches and Athletes are the cutting edge of Sports Science, not the other way around!"

From the Revolution of how High-Jumpers approached the jump, to the Time Trial Bars on the bike, the vast majority of advancements in Sports Science occur because of the Coaches and Athletes.

If you've read this far, it means you too are an innovator. You're looking for the best way possible to advance your performance, and enjoy the journey.

You cringe at the "Well, this is how it's always been done, so that's how we do it" mentality.

You disregard all the "smart athletes" who wait for the WHY to be proven. YOU Try new approaches that make sense to you, and are reasonable. (Within legal means, of course!)

Strength Training for cycling is far behind what the needs and demands for the sport have been, and are, for the athletes. But if you tune in to this blog, and the Human Vortex Training YouTube Channel (@HVTraining), you'll be privy to the cutting edge of Strength Training for Cycling Performance.

You'll be an early adopter. An innovator. Trying new things, and learning what YOU need to perform better.

Don't get stuck waiting for the research to come out and explain why.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
TRY.




No comments:

Post a Comment