Saturday, December 28, 2013

Behind closed doors, when everyone else isn't expecting it.

It's not for the fanfare, nor for the limelight.

During my time working for the University of Pittsburgh Mens Basketball program, I used to return back to "The Pete" again late in the evening, usually between 10-11pm. But this time (except during tournament time) was for ME.

11pm at night.

Just me, 4 basketballs, The automatic rebounder in the Auxiliary gym deep in the bowels of the arena, and my "500's" mix tape -because I would usually shoot between 500-600 shots PER SESSION. I made this tape to be exactly 48 minutes long. Long enough for QUALITY repetitions, with built in rest periods. Perfect form. Perfect biomechanics. Perfect footwork.

I was there minimum 3-4 days a week, although it was more like 5-6x a week… unless I had to work my other job, or had a lot of studying.

Why? Because I love the game of basketball. Because I love hard work.

Because I loved the fact that I was dedicated enough to take my ass to the gym at 11pm at night, on a cold December night, when everyone else was sleeping, or getting ready for bed, I was in the gym.

With a focused training plan.

Truth be told, I miss it.
I miss working for the team. I miss watching and learning from practices and games.

But most of all, I miss my late-night practice sessions.

There's nothing like being so committed to a goal, that you're going to work on it at 11pm after a 17 hour day….and you can't wait to do it.

What's your goal that you're committed to? Are you doing the work when no one else is, and not because you want others to SEE you, but because you love the hard work?

Don't Flatter Yourself. Love the Journey. Sweat. Work Smarter, not harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment