Monday, January 6, 2014

Let's get down to brass tacks

Success isn't the big trophy, or finishing where you wanted/expected to.

Success is doing the work, day in, day out, as you need to...
...and getting to the starting line healthy.

Rest when your body tells you it REALLY needs it.

Many days it's not our body that's tired, it's our mind that's been exhausted through all the decisions and focus we needed to make all day. That's a big part of why my athletes get the green light to cut a workout, should their body not feel well after the first 15 minutes of the workout.
97% of the time, it's not the body that's fatigued, it's the mind. Give it a kick-start, and it's good to go.


You see, life really IS a marathon, not a track meet. Actually, it's more like a Decathlon. Cuz you get to do all kinds of crazy crap, and have to do it while moving from action item to action item.

It's not about grinding yourself to a pulp EVERY workout, EVERY day. 

HTFU?
More like "grab your coat, a good book and some snacks, put them in a bag in your trunk so that you're prepared for that trip to the ER or Urgent care when you blow out a (select one) Tendon/Muscle/Joint/Mental Burnout. 

Do I condone pushing through the pain (IF it's the RIGHT kind of 'burn' or 'discomfort') to my athletes? YOU BETCHA!!!

Local, State, and National Champions aren't built around "fluffy" workouts, nor by listening to anyone and everyone else around them, telling them how great they are.

The difference between a National/World Caliber Athlete and everyone else, is from the neck up, and how they think of themselves, and don't believe the hype. (yes, yes, they are also physiologically gifted in many cases).

When I was coaching high school Varsity and JV basketball, I would hold open tryouts EVERY year. You wanted a spot on my team? SHOW ME that you deserve to be there. 

Show me your hustle, your heart, your desire to work hard and be there. SHOW ME YOU'RE A TEAM PLAYER AND SUPPORT THOSE AROUND YOU WHEN THEY SUCCEED AND FAIL.

You were on the team last year? Ok, you showed me what you got last year. Show me what you have now. SHOW ME THAT YOU'VE GROWN AND LEARNED.

My second year coaching the team, I had a VERY talented player show up for the tryouts his Senior year. The year before, under my tutelage, and private sessions working with me 1 on 1, he grew immensely as a player, and I will say, had the beginnings of what it took to play Division 2, MAYBE Division 1 ball, IF he kept the same "hard work, eat right, train properly, know my strength & weaknesses" attitude, and didnt believe all his "new friends" who were telling him how great he was after the season.

He bought the hype. 

He believed those around him that said he was SO GREAT.
He didn't believe me the month before tryouts when I told him his ball handling was weak, and his jumper had ill-timing. He didn't believe his trainer who told him he came back weaker...

...Great, you did a killer training session. You put out 350w for a 30 minute Lactate Threshold effort. You workout 7 days a week. You're always going "hardcore"........Everyone looks at you because you are ALWAYS working so hard. They compliment you on it. They want to workout like you do...


That player I was talking about, didn't make the cut. 

He believed the hype.

Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment